Medical Research Foundation
Changing medicine today. Changing lives tomorrow.
The Medical Research Foundation is the charitable foundation of the MRC. It aims to advance medical research, improve human health and change people’s lives.
Many of the diseases and conditions that affect human health have been cured or overcome as a result of medical research – much of it MRC-funded and by UK researchers.
But there will always be more to do.
Although significant resources are being spent on developing exciting new treatments and therapies, there are areas of medical need that receive little or no support – and people’s lives that see no improvement.
That’s where we step in.
The Medical Research Foundation is an independent charitable foundation funded by the giving public. We fund and support the most promising medical research wherever we discover great opportunities that are not being pursued.
We use our donations responsibly and ensure your support will have the greatest impact where it is most needed.
We meet the highest research standards through our unique connection with the MRC.
What we fund
The Medical Research Foundation is not restricted to providing support for a particular disease or condition, or a particular research institution. We can respond to the emerging health needs of the nation and the wider world, and the research priorities and opportunities identified by scientific experts and our donors. All of our activities are focused on research: we do not provide advice or support, and nor do we undertake campaigning.
2018/19 will see the Medical Research Foundation funding:
- £1.5m for pilot studies to better understand the causes of eating disorders and self-harm in adolescents and young adults (jointly with the MRC)
- Our annual Emerging Leaders Prize will this year be awarded to researchers having the greatest impact on adolescent mental health
- £1m funding to develop research capacity in Africa so that local researchers can address health problems in an African context (from a restricted legacy for this purpose)
- £1.5m for mid-career researchers working on young stroke
- £850k for research on lupus and related conditions
- Alexander Fleming Dissemination awards to take the results of research directly to patients, healthcare practitioners and policy makers
If you are motivated to help the Medical Research Foundation fund more medical research that will change people’s lives, there are a number of fundraising events you can get involved with this year.
Check out the Superhero run in London, the Cardiff Half Marathon, the British 10km or an abseil down the Arcelor Mittal Orbit. Or, if such derring-do doesn't appeal, you can make a donation today.
If you’d like to get involved in a fundraising event or hold an event of your own, please get in touch with Lisa Robinson by email or call 020 7395 2371.
The Foundation’s team is happy to answer your questions.