Early career researchers: Boost your neuro research State-side
1 Mar 2018
The Medical Research Council (MRC) is encouraging MRC funded early career researchers in neurodegeneration to apply for the 2018/19 MRC-NIH Partnering Awards Scheme, which opens today. The Scheme, funded by the Government’s Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) aims to kick-start new collaborations and strengthen existing partnerships between UK researchers and US research groups at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Applications across all areas of science relating to neurodegeneration are welcomed. Multi and transdisciplinary research that brings together different areas of science are particularly encouraged.
This year’s Scheme follows on from the partnering awards programme launched last year, which will see three early career researchers from some of the MRC’s major dementia investments (UK Dementia Research Institute and Dementias Platform UK) head to NIH labs to analyse UK/USA data, research methods and brain imaging. They will be presenting their collaboration results at the NIH / MRC Symposium on 22 March 2018 in Washington DC.
2018/19 Applications will undergo rapid internal assessment by MRC staff and a panel of scientists. Proposals will be assessed against the following criteria:
- The value added to neurodegeneration science
- How the work proposed in the application complements the objectives of the qualifying MRC grant
- The extent to which the application identifies persuasive, personal development opportunities for the applicant
- The multi/interdisciplinary nature of the application
- The potential sustainability of the collaboration
- The uniqueness of the opportunity and expertise of both collaborating groups
- The benefits and future joint research likely to accrue from the collaboration and the possibility of further funding being sought as the result of the award
- Level of commitment of the US group
Applications open today for those employed on a currently active MRC grant. For terms and conditions please visit MRC NIH Neurodegeneration Partnering Awards. The total amount available for this call is £135,000 with a maximum total per individual of £15,000. The closing date is 16:00 on 5 April 2018.