Professor Madan Babu
EMBO recognises outstanding MRC researchers
11 Jun 2019
EMBO Gold Medal
European Molecular Biology Organisation (EMBO) awards the Gold Medal annually to honour the exceptional achievements of selected life scientists under the age of 40 in Europe. It represents EMBO’s focus on the needs of young researchers and highlights the role of young independent group leaders in creating a strong research environment.
Professor Madan Babu, a Group Leader in the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology’s (MRC LMB) Structural Studies Division, has been awarded the EMBO Gold Medal for his “fundamental contributions to the field of computational molecular biology”. Professor Babu shares the prize with Professor Paola Picotti of ETH Zurich.
Dr Jan Löwe, MRC LMB Director, commented: “I am most delighted that EMBO decided to award its highest accolade to Madan, to someone so deeply interested in computational biology and so adept at teasing out important answers with its application.”
Professors Babu and Picotti will each receive a gold medal and a cash prize of 10,000 euros.
For more information on Professor Babu’s award, please visit the MRC LMB website.
Further details on the EMBO Gold Medal can be found on the EMBO website.
Newly elected members of EMBO
MRC-supported researchers are among the 56 outstanding life scientists named in the EMBO list of new members.
EMBO elects new members annually in recognition of their contributions to scientific excellence. The organisation promotes excellence in the life sciences by supporting talented researchers, stimulating exchange of scientific information and helping to shape science and research policy.
EMBO will formally welcome its new members and associate members at the annual members’ meeting in Heidelberg between 29 and 31 October 2019.
The newly elected MRC-supported scientists include:
- Professor Sadaf Farooqi, Wellcome Trust-MRC Institute of Metabolic Science, Cambridge
- Professor Sten Eirik W. Jacobsen, MRC Molecular Haematology Unit at the University of Oxford
- Dr Garib Murshudov, Group Leader, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge
- Professor Lalita Ramakrishnan, Group Leader, University of Cambridge Molecular Immunity Unit, at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge
- Professor Katrin Rittinger, Group Leader, Francis Crick Institute, London
- Professor James M Turner, Group Leader, Francis Crick Institute, London.
Visit the EMBO website for a full list of the members elected in 2019.