MRC researchers join Fellowship of Academy of Medical Sciences
10 May 2018
MRC-supported scientists are among the 48 distinguished medical researchers elected as Fellows of the Academy of Medical Sciences.
Election to the Fellowship is awarded for scientific excellence which includes notable contribution to biomedical and health science, the generation of new knowledge in medical sciences and its translation into benefits to society.
This year's elected fellows have expertise that spans sleep research, infectious and tropical diseases, diabetes medicine, parasite biology, and ultrasound research and technology, among many other fields.
The newly elected fellows include:
- Professor Eleanor Barnes, Professor of Hepatology and Experimental Medicine, University of Oxford and MRC Senior Fellow
- Professor David Beeson, Professor in Molecular Neurosciences, MRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine at the University of Oxford
- Professor Simon Griffin, Programme Leader at the MRC Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge and Professor of General Practice at the University of Cambridge
- Professor Giles Hardingham FRSE, City of Edinburgh Professor of Pharmacology; Associate Director, UK Dementia Research Institute, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Frank Kelly, Deputy Director of the MRC-PHE Centre for Environment and Health, King's College London
- Professor Giovanna Lombardi, Professor of Human Transplant Immunology at the MRC Centre for Transplantation, King's College London
- Professor Keith Matthews FRSE, Member of the MRC’s Neurosciences and Mental Health Board and Professor of Parasite Biology at the University of Edinburgh
- Professor David Rowitch, Senior Investigator, Wellcome-MRC Cambridge Stem Cell Institute, University of Cambridge
- Dr William Schafer, Programme Leader, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
- Professor Jesper Svejstrup FRS, Senior Group Leader, The Francis Crick Institute
- Dr Sharon Tooze, Senior Scientist, The Francis Crick Institute; Honorary Professor, University College London
- Dr Pauline Williams, UK Research and Innovation Council Member and Senior Vice President and Head of Global Health R&D, GlaxoSmithKline
- Professor Catherine Williamson, Member of the MRC’s Population and Systems Medicine Board and Professor of Women’s Health, King's College London.
Visit the Academy of Medical Sciences website for a full list of the fellows elected in 2018.