Biomarkers of dairy fat consumption tied to lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
10 Oct 2018
The MRC and NIHR respond to a wide-ranging review of nutrition research in the UK.
20 Jul 2017
The grants were funded by the Research Councils UK's 'Priming Food Partnerships'.
10 Feb 2017
Spotlight on: Nutrition
Nutrition, diet and physical activity play an important, if not a determinant, role in the promotion of health and in the protection from and treatment of disease. Poor nutrition is a direct cause of disease such as diabetes and cardiovascular problems and we are facing a global obesity epidemic. The challenges are worldwide and will require a global, coordinated response. The UK has earned a strong reputation in nutrition research but we now need to ensure we are well placed to take on these new challenges. Read more on the MRC priorities for nutrition research page. Watch a short film about why research on nutrition and health matters.
About obesity: Obesity is associated with increased mortality and substantial morbidity, placing a significant burden on healthcare systems around the world. The MRC has identified eight priorities for obesity research and have divided them into two categories: scientific areas and experimental and conceptual approaches. Read more about our obesity research.
- Why we just can't stop eating: an article about the Wellcome-MRC Institute of Metabolic Sciences
- Meal timings: do they matter?: a blog post about the MRC-funded Big Breakfast Study
- The new UK Nutrition Research Partnership: a blog post by its Chair, Professor Stephen O'Rahilly
- Professor Kate Hunt explains how she's teamed up with the Scottish Professional Football League Trust to tackle obesity in men
Related MRC sites
- MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow
- MRC Metabolic Diseases Unit
- MRC Integrative Epidemiology Unit at the University of Bristol
- MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit at the University of Southampton
- MRC Elsie Widdowson Laboratory
- MRC Epidemiology Unit
- Latest funding opportunities
- UK Nutrition Research Partnership Collaborative Awards
- Review of Nutrition and Human Health Research
- Link to June 2017 Workshop report (PDF, 628KB)
- Link to Cross-Council vision for Food, Nutrition and Health research (PDF, 6.07MB)
- Population and Systems Medicine Board
- MRC Industry Charter (PDF, 953KB)