Translational Research Group
The Translational Research Group (TRG) is responsible for ensuring strong continued support for translational research across the MRC. We support translational research across our funding Boards and Panels, through partnerships with other funders and major Higher Education Institutions and through dedicated funding schemes. Areas of particular focus for TRG include:
The Biomedical Catalyst, an integrated translational funding programme jointly operated with Innovate UK (formerly the Technology Strategy Board).
The Confidence in Concept scheme, supporting academically led feasibility research at the institutional level.
The Developmental Pathway Funding Scheme, part of the Biomedical Catalyst, supporting translation of fundamental discoveries toward benefits to human health.
Coordination with the MRC-NIHR Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation Programme (EME) programme and other NIHR funding schemes to ensure suitable projects progress to late-stage trials.
Professor Anna Dominiczak, Institute of Cardiovascular & Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow, chairs the Group.
- Professor Anna Dominiczak (chair), Regius Professor of Medicine, Vice-Principal and Head of College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, chairs the Group
- Professor John Isaacs, Institute of Cellular Medicine Musculoskeletal Research Group, Newcastle University
- Dr Declan Mulkeen, Chief of Strategy, Medical Research Council
- Professor Peter Parker, The Integrated Cancer Centre
- Dr Gillian Burgess, Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Declaration of Interest to follow)
- Professor Ian Kimber,= Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester
- Dr John Shields (PDF, 38KB), Director, JGSbiopharma Ltd
- Professor Ian Greer (PDF, 33KB), President & Vice Chancellor, Queen's University Belfast
- Professor Simon Hollingsworth, Astrazeneca
- Professor David Crossman, School of Medicine, University of St Andrews
- Professor Jackie Hunter, BenevolentAI
- Professor John Girkin, Department of Physics, Durham University
- Dr Ken Sutherland, Canon Medical Research Europe Ltd
- Dr Kenji Takada, Microsoft Research Cambridge
- Professor Jonathan Seckl, University of Edinburgh
Programme Manager for Translational Research (TRG Secretariat)
Dr Penny Morton
Head of Translational Research
Dr Louise Jones