Facts & figures
In 2017/18 the MRC’s gross research expenditure, funded by our BEIS allocation and contributions from other bodies, was £814.1 million, compared to £755.5 million in 2016/17. The support for world-class medical research to improve human health and enhance the economic competitiveness of the UK included:
- £380.2 million on grants to researchers in universities, medical schools and research organisations
- £150 million on programmes within the MRC’s own units and institutes including £4 million on studentships
- £194.1 million on programmes within university units and partnership institutes including transfer of property, plant and equipment with a net book value of £24.2 million
- £71.4 million on studentships and fellowships in universities, medical schools and research establishments
- £18.3 million for international subscriptions.
See page 22 of the MRC Annual Report and Accounts 2017/18 (PDF, 2.65MB) for key facts and figures relating to the MRC’s research spending in 2017/18.